Created in 1995, the Cleveland Scholarship & Tutoring Program provides scholarships to students who live in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District to be used toward tuition at the participating private or public school of their choice within the Cleveland Metropolitan School District boundaries. The scholarship is renewable through high school graduation.
Who is eligible?
Any school-aged child who lives within the boundaries of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District is eligible to apply for the Cleveland Scholarship & Tutoring Program.
How much is the scholarship worth?
Cleveland scholarships are worth $4,250 for students in grades K-8 and $5,700 for high school students.
What private school can my child attend?
To see a list of the schools that accept EdChoice Scholarships, follow these steps:
- Click here to access the dashboard
- Click on "Select Program" in the top left-hand corner
- Click on "Cleveland Scholarship"
How do we apply?
- Start shopping – Review the list of participating schools. Use the evaluation tools, and choose the school on the list that is the best fit for your child and family.
- Apply to a private school – Apply to the participating school(s) of your choice. Your child will go through the regular admission process at the school.
- Scholarship application – If your child is accepted, the school you choose will apply for the scholarship on your behalf.
Note: All steps must be completed by the application deadline to apply.
When do we apply?
The application window for the Cleveland Scholarship opens on February 1 and closes on April 30. Your child must already have been accepted at a private school before the deadline so that the school can apply on their behalf.
How many scholarships are available?
The number of available scholarships is limited based on the amount of funding allotted to the program. Priority is given to verified low-income families.
Will I have to pay any costs?
The Cleveland Scholarship can be used toward tuition. You might be responsible for paying other costs like application fees, uniform costs, etc.
How is this scholarship funded?
The Cleveland Scholarship is funded through the State of Ohio, partly through per-student funding and partly through a separate state budget appropriation.
The Ohio Department of Education administers this scholarship program.
For more information on the program from the department, click here.
If you have any questions about this scholarship program,
please fill out the contact form on this page and we'll get back to you soon with answers.
You can also always give us a call at 614-223-1743 or 1-800-673-5876.