In Ohio, there are many different options available when it comes to your child’s education. Choosing the right school for your child is no longer as simple as just registering her at your local school. There is a discovery process for parents as we all learn about the different types of schools and programs that are available in Ohio today.
We break this discovery process down into two parts: school sector and program style.
- “School sector” is the nuts and bolts, behind the scenes stuff like government oversight, regulation, application process and funding.
- “Program style” is the day-to-day approach of a school including things like its curriculum, focus student population and teaching style.
Sectors and styles can match up in almost any combination:
- A charter school (sector) can use a Montessori style.
- A district school (sector) can be focused on a science curriculum.
- A private school (sector) can be focused on students with special needs.
Usually parents are most interested in the program style, but knowing the chosen school’s sector is important to navigate the enrollment process. Schools of any sector or style can be high or low quality, as we’ll see in the evaluate section.
We are inspired by the great schools in every sector that are raising expectations, trying new approaches, and helping students reach new heights. Allowing parents to choose from a range of options infuses new energy and efficiency into our entire education system. And you are a part of that!
The nuts and bolts, behind the scenes information like government oversight, regulation, application process, and funding
The day-to-day approach of a school including things like its curriculum, focus student population, and teaching style